By Dialogo April 27, 2012 A U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Office reconnaissance P-3 airplane, operating out of National Air Security Operations Center-Jacksonville (NASOC-JAX), detected two go-fast vessels carrying more than 2,200 kilograms of cocaine with a combined value of more than $362 million. On April 20, a P-3 operating in the Western Caribbean spotted two go-fast vessels 120 miles off the coast of Panama. The two 40-foot twin-engine vessels were spotted speeding north and appeared to be loaded with numerous packages when the Florida-based CBP P-3 began tracking them. Local law enforcement assets were vectored in to pursue the two vessels, which attempted to evade authorities. One vessel abandoned the contraband before arriving on shore, while the second go-fast was seized nearby. A U.S. Navy vessel operating in the area retrieved 89 bales of cocaine from the scene. This seizure is in addition to the $2.8 billion detected by the CBP P-3s operating out of Jacksonville, Fla. and Corpus Christi, Texas since October 2011. The P-3s’ distinctive detection capabilities allow highly-trained crews to identify emerging threats well beyond the land borders of the U.S. By providing surveillance of known air, land, and maritime smuggling routes in an area that is twice the size of the continental U.S., the P-3s detect, monitor and disrupt smuggling activities before they reach shore.
As many as 513 Indonesian domestic workers have been repatriated from neighboring Malaysia after they were given the all-clear for COVID-19 infection.Priagung Adhi Bawono, the head of the Medan Port Health Authority (KKP), said that each Indonesian migrant worker (TKI) had been accounted for and confirmed free of infection after testing negative for the virus upon their arrival at Kualanamu International Airport in Deli Serdang regency, North Sumatra.“The preliminary results show that none of the [repatriated] domestic workers have any symptoms [of COVID-19]. They all tested negative,” Priagung told The Jakarta Post on Saturday. He added that the workers had been examined in Malaysia prior to their repatriation, but noted that some of the workers had flu-like symptoms, including dry cough and dizziness.As of Saturday, North Sumatra had recorded at least 59 confirmed cases and eight deaths.To ensure public health and safety, said Priagung, all recently repatriated migrant workers were isolated for 14 days at a special facility at Cadika Lubuk Pakam park in Deli Serdang, or at Suwondo Air Base in Medan.Whiko Irwan, the head of the North Sumatra COVID-19 task force, said that all repatriates would undergo rapid testing on the first and 10th days of their isolation periods, as well as physical exercise and psychological evaluation. Read also: COVID-19 news is not all bad. Read this to stay positive“There are 318 [TKI] quarantined at Soewondo Air Base, whereas 134 others have been isolated at Cadika Lubuk Pakam Park,” Whiko said.Soewondo Air Base Commander Col. Meka Yudanto said that the majority of repatriated workers quarantined at the air base were North Sumatra natives, while the others came from regional provinces including Java.North Sumatra Governor Edy Rahmayadi had submitted a formal request to the Home Ministry for the repatriation of North Sumatran workers from Malaysia amid the health emergency in the neighboring country, said Meka.The Malaysian government extended until April 28 its “movement control order”, which is technically a lockdown, in an effort to curb the rapid spread of the virus there, Antara News reported.By Saturday, Malaysia had recorded 4,530 confirmed cases and 70 deaths from the disease.Many of the repatriated TKI had police records in Malaysia for overstaying their visas, said Kualanamu Immigration head Tedi Hartadi Wibowo.Zakiah, a TKI from Jambi, said she entered Malaysia illegally in 2018 on a tourist visa. She found work as a waitress at a local restaurant, but was soon arrested by Malaysian immigration officers and sentenced to seven months in prison.“I’ve learned my lesson. I won’t enter Malaysia through unofficial channels ever again,” Zakiah told the Post on Thursday, when shse arrived at Kualanamu airport.She said she didn’t mind being quarantined before returning to her hometown so that her family would be safe. (rfa)Topics :
The rich history of music and entertainment in Overtown, makes it a perfect backdrop for the Black Lounge Film Series (BLFS) set to kick off on February 16th, 2018 for Black History Month at the Overtown Performing Arts Center (1074 N.W. 3rd Avenue, Miami, Florida,33136). The film presented will be PBS American Masters film “Sammy Davis Jr.: I’ve Gotta Be Me directed by Sam Pollard.” The documentary is the first significant film documentary to examine Davis’ immense talent and his journey for identity through the shifting tides of civil rights and racial progress in 20th-century America. The creator behind BLFS is Haitian American filmmaker, Rachelle Salnave, the 2016 Knight Arts challenge recipient. Her BLFS platform is committed to investing in Overtown, by activating venues in this historical black neighborhood using the platform of cinema. The Knight Arts Challenge funds the best ideas for engaging and enriching communities through the art. The BLFS showcase will be held monthly, and also include free quarterly outdoor screenings at Gibson Park and a Speaker Series at Culmer Library, both located in Historic Overtown. The series is made possible with the support of the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Mayor, Board of County Commissioners and the Knight Foundation.“In the 1960’s Overtown was often referred to as the “Harlem of the South,” with many Black musicians and artists using it a creative and restorative pit stop during their journey across the USA, states Rachelle Salnave, Creator of the Black Lounge Series. “By anchoring this new film series in Overtown, we can hearken back to these storied days while ensuring that a legacy of Black creative excellence is restored to this community and not displaced.”