Concern about blogger’s condition after second flogging postponed

first_img Saudi media silent on RSF complaint against MBS News Help by sharing this information June 8, 2021 Find out more January 16, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Concern about blogger’s condition after second flogging postponed Sentenced to ten years in prison and 1,000 lashes last November, the young blogger was due to receive the second round of 50 lashes after Friday prayers today but the doctor who examined him this morning decided that he could not endure more flogging for the time being because he has not recovered from the first session aweek ago.The second session has therefore been postponed until next Friday.“Saudi Arabia can do longer deny the gravity of this flogging, a barbaric punishment that is contrary to international law,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “In view of Badawi’s alarming condition after 50 lashes, how can the Saudi authorities envisage inflicting another 950 lashes? It is a death sentence. He would not survive. Saudi Arabia must immediately rescind this sentence to avoid doing something that cannot be undone.”The international community is showing increasing concern about Badawi’s fate. After statements by the United States, the European Union and Canada (where Badawi’s family has found refuge), the United Nations have now called on the Saudi authorities to stop the flogging and give Badawi a pardon.After launching a petition for Badawi’s release that has been signed by more than 30,000 people, Reporters Without Borders joined Amnesty International France in protesting outside the Saudi Embassy in Paris yesterday. An RWB representative managed to give the petition to an embassy official. RSF_en Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Saudi Arabia Receive email alerts Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa to go further News News RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say April 28, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders is relieved that the Saudi authorities have postponed blogger Raif Badawi’s second session of 50 lashes on medical grounds but is very concerned about his health and urges the authorities to abandon this barbaric punishment altogether because it could prove fatal. Organisation News March 9, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

HR called on to lead battle for best employees

first_imgPressurewill grow on HR departments to help employers recruit and retain the bestpeople if the expected economic downturn in America spreads across theAtlantic.Thisis the view of the CIPD’s chief economist, John Philpott, who said that if theUK moved towards recession, unemployment was unlikely to climb drastically andcompanies would still face a fight to hold on to their best employees in acompetitive labour market.Concernsover a downturn in the UK economy were highlighted last week when the Bank ofEngland cut interest rates for the first time in 20 months.Philpottsaid, “I think there would be increasing internal pressure on HRdepartments in terms of recruitment and retention.”Thereis also a potential problem in terms of rewards and keeping hold of the bestpeople because the labour market is going to remain fairly tight.”Philpott told Personnel Today that if the UK was affected byan economic downturn it would place a greater emphasis on companies to achieveincreased productivity. Related posts:No related photos. Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed. HR called on to lead battle for best employeesOn 13 Feb 2001 in Personnel Todaylast_img read more