Partnership deal pays off for ETOL

first_imgPartnership deal pays off for ETOLOn 5 Feb 2002 in Personnel Today Previous Article Next Article Utilities firm ETOL is saving nearly £4m a year through its partnershipagreement. The company, bought by the now bankrupt Enron from ICI in 1999, set up itsagreement in 2000 in a bid to improve employee relations. ETOL HR director George Ritchie told the AnUMan conference the agreement hasbeen so successful it saves the firm £3.8m a year. The move has improved the company’s communication with union representativesfrom the MSF and AEEU (now Amicus) and T&G, leading to greater transparencyof knowledge. Ritchie said this allowed the unions to be involved in the problem-solvingprocess. The partnership agreement has resulted in a two-year pay freeze, increasedworking hours, improved shift flexibility and an agreed redundancy programme. “The plant needed a culture change,” Ritchie explained.”People on the ground did not feel they owned anything, nor did they trustanyone including trade union officials. They were disconnected with what wenton. “When the plant was sold employees started to get more involved asissues would be localised, so the buck could not be passed by thecompany.” He told delegates the success of the scheme has helped ETOL attract over£26m in additional investment. The firm has used some of this revenue to offer private medical insurance toemployees. It has also invested £500,000 in staff training and development. In a bid to improve IT skills at the firm employees have also been given theoption of a free home computer and printer, for a £10 yearly lease. Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos.last_img read more

Alex Marquez to join brother Marc at Honda MotoGP team

first_img First Published: 19th November, 2019 09:41 IST LIVE TV Written By WATCH US LIVE 10 months ago Marc Marquez wins Australia MotoGP thriller as Vinales crashes Alex Marquez will ride alongside his older brother and six-time MotoGP world champion Marc at Honda next season, the team announced on Monday. The 23-year-old Alex Marquez, who added the Moto2 world title this year to the Moto3 crown he won in 2014, has signed a one-year deal with the constructors’ champions. “He will move from the intermediate class to partner eight-time world champion Marc Marquez in 2020 for his debut season in the premier class,” Honda said in a statement.READ | Charles Oliveira Brags About Winning Future UFC Fight With Khabib NurmagomedovREAD | Kiren Rijiju: ‘We Will Form A Committee For Sports Code’Alex Marquez to join brother MarcThe younger Marquez replaces three-time world champion Jorge Lorenzo, who retired after the weekend’s season-ending Valencia Grand Prix. Alex has been riding for Kalex in Moto2. He won five races in the 2019 campaign, taking the title by three points from South African Brad Binder. The announcement means that Briton Cal Crutchlow and Frenchman Johann Zarco miss out on joining Honda’s top outfit. The 34-year-old Crutchlow, who races for Honda-LCR, finished ninth in the 2019 standings. He has won three races and finished on the podium 19 times in his MotoGP career. Zarco, a two-time Moto2 champion, moved up to MotoGP last season. He raced the final three grands prix for Honda’s second string, having struggled earlier in the season with KTM. READ | UFC: Nate Diaz Roasted By Former British Champion With Mike Tyson Reference Post UFC 244READ | Kiren Rijiju Felicitates World Para Athletics Medalists After India’s Stellar Show Press Trust Of India WE RECOMMEND SUBSCRIBE TO UScenter_img COMMENT 10 months ago UNR President Johnson stepping down in June Last Updated: 19th November, 2019 09:41 IST Alex Marquez To Join Brother Marc At Honda MotoGP Team Alex Marquez will ride alongside his older brother and six-time MotoGP world champion Marc at Honda next season, the team announced on Monday 10 months ago Dominant Vinales storms to Malaysian MotoGP victory FOLLOW US 10 months ago RM vs RB Dream11: Team, prediction, top picks and match preview 9 months ago ‘Umbrella Academy’s’ Jeremy Slater to develop Marvel’s ‘Moon Knight’last_img read more

The United States Suspends Private Charter Flights to Cuba

first_imgIn making his announcement, Pompeo slammed the regime in Cuba for continuing to jail reporters and pro-democracy activists, suppress dissent, oversee “horrific” physical abuse and prop up President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela, among other offenses. “The suspension of private charter flights will deny economic resources to the Castro regime and inhibit its capacity to carry out abuses,” Pompeo said in a statement. “This administration will continue to target and cut the revenue the Cuban government earns from landing fees, stays in regime-owned hotels, and other travel-related income,” Pompeo added. The United States is suspending private charter flights to Cuba Eva Marie UZCATEGUI AFP/File The Cuban military and intelligence services own and operate the great majority of hotels and tourism infrastructure in Cuba. The United States said they urge travelers of all nationalities to consider this and to make responsible decisions regarding travel to Cuba. WASHINGTON – The Secretary of State in the United States, Mike Pompeo, on Thursday said that the United States is suspending private charter flights to Cuba as another way to starve the government in Havana of revenue. “Unfortunately, the Castro regime has not changed its repressive and undemocratic behavior. It continues to imprison journalists and democracy activists, to oversee horrific physical abuse, to perpetuate the de facto dictatorship in Venezuela, to repress freedom of religion or belief, and to silence and intimidate those who speak truth about the reality in Cuba,” the US State department statement said.last_img read more

Conner replaces Bell, shines as Steelers tie Browns in OT

first_imgMaybe they can do it again.Making his first NFL start, James Conner helped Pittsburgh forget that Bell — the team’s disgruntled star running back — isn’t around and may not be back anytime soon.Conner scored two touchdowns, rushed for 135 yards and added 57 more on five catches as the Steelers escaped Sunday with a 21-21 tie against the Cleveland Browns, who ended their 17-game losing streak without winning.Conner was more than an adequate fill-in for Bell, who remains separated from the Steelers in an ugly contract dispute.While his teammates slopped around in the rain at FirstEnergy Stadium, Bell continued his holdout in South Florida as his replacement gave the Steelers hope they’ll be able to withstand not having one of their biggest stars.Conner could be their newest one.The anti-Bell.“I’m so tired of Le’Veon,” Steelers right guard David DeCastro told reporters. “I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys that are here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we have to worry about the guys that are here. That’s the only people that matter.”Conner scored on a 4-yard run in the second quarter and added a 22-yarder in the fourth as the Steelers opened a 21-7 lead that appeared safe.However, as Pittsburgh appeared on the verge of putting the Browns away, Conner had his lone blemish on an otherwise stellar day.Running right, Conner got stripped by Browns end Myles Garrett and his fumble led to the Browns quickly scoring two touchdowns in the final 7:32 to force overtime.Cleveland had a chance to win it, but linebacker T.J. Watt added a blocked field goal to his four-sack game by getting a hand on Zane Gonzalez’s 43-yard field-goal attempt with 9 seconds left.Bell’s messy situation cast a shadow over the Steelers all week, bringing a distraction to a team that usually avoids drama. The stand-off could last for a while, and if it does, Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin, his staff and the Steelers have to feel better about what Conner can provide.“He did some really great things,” said superstar receiver Antonio Brown. “He ran well and brought great energy all day. I was excited to see him make some plays, not only in the run game, but in the pass game as well.”On a day when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger struggled throwing three interceptions and fumbling twice, Conner was solid and steady.“Pressure is always there,” said Conner, who survived a cancer scare while he was at Pitt. “You’re either feeling pressure or applying pressure. I was trying to apply the pressure today. There were no nerves or nothing. Just playing football.”It looked that way. Conner patiently looked for running lanes, taking what Cleveland’s defense gave him and never trying to do too much.The 23-year-old finished with 192 total yards, matching Bell’s best game from last season.“I thought he played well,” said Roethlisberger, who struggled from the outset. “Ran hard, caught the ball well. Made plays for us. I’m proud of the way he played for this team.”Conner took it all in stride. Following the game, he casually accepted congratulations while dressing and came across as composed off the field as he was on it.“It is what I expect,” he said of his performance. “It’s the mentality of our offense. We feel like we’re going to run the ball when we want to run the ball so I know the mentality of those guys up front. I knew the lanes were going to be there. I knew today was going to be a good day on the ground, just not enough to win.“I have confidence in myself and the guys in front of me blocking, so it’s what we expect to do.”___For more AP NFL coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner (30) celebrates with wide receiver Antonio Brown (84) after Conner scored a 22-yard touchdown during the second half of an NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns, Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane) CLEVELAND (AP) — The Steelers survived one week without Le’Veon Bell.last_img read more