Jenkins announces progress on efforts to combat sexual assault in the Catholic Church

first_imgAfter announcing plans for Notre Dame to address the sex abuse scandal in the Catholic Church, University President Fr. John Jenkins provided an update on the University’s efforts in an email to the campus community early Thursday morning. In the email, Jenkins listed the recommendations of the two task forces he appointed last year in regards to working against sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.His first recommendation was to “initiate prominent, public events to educate and stimulate discussion.”In March 2019, Jenkins announced that the Church crisis would be the subject of the 2019-2020 forum, entitled “Rebuild My Church.” In 2019, the University hosted two events as part of the forum— one of them a panel which dissected various aspects of the Church crisis. One of the panelists, Archbishop William Lori, had a controversial past, as he allegedly led efforts to block transparency in the Catholic Church’s response to the crisis.Jenkins announced in the email that on March 4-6, the McGrath Institute will host a panel titled “Called and Co-Responsible: Exploring Co-Responsibility for the Mission of the Catholic Church.” The panel will “bring together distinguished lay and clerical leaders to explore the responsibility lay people and clergy share for the Church and its mission,” Jenkins said in the email.Jenkins also said the University offered Presidential research grants which have funded 11 proposals in different fields to help address the crisis.The University is working to “to create a culture of accountability and transparency on Notre Dame’s campus” by implementing a staff leadership training program entitled “Living Notre Dame’s Values: Strengthening a Culture of Candor, Integrity and Respect.” This program seeks to encourage faculty and staff to speak up about ways to improve discourse on campus and voice their concerns, Jenkins said in the email.In addition, Jenkins said the Master in Divinity program will continue to train leaders in techniques to prevent and respond to sexual abuse.“For the Church institutionally, but perhaps for all of us in some way, there is the possibility for greater humility, greater solidarity with all who suffer, greater transparency, greater honesty about our failings and a deeper commitment to repentance and reform,” Jenkins said in the email.Tags: Archbishop Lori, Fr. John Jenkins, Office of the President, Rebuild my Church Forumlast_img read more

Heung-min Son reveals why he asked to leave Tottenham back in 2016

first_img Read More Advertisement Read More / Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling Top articles Skip Ad Son played for Hamburg and Leverkusen before joining Spurs (Picture: Getty)Heung-min Son revealed he nearly left Tottenham back in 2016 after telling Mauricio Pochettino he was struggling with life in London.Despite his unhappiness at the time, Son stayed put and decided to give it another go, much to the delight of Spurs fans.Since joining from Bayer Leverkusen back in 2015, he’s grown into one of the most important players for the club, bagging 63 goals in 174 appearances.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThis season he’s been a resounding success again, scoring 16 goals to helping Spurs stay within touching distance of winning the Premier League title.ADVERTISEMENT Read More 1/1 Full Screen Comment Manchester United captain Harry Maguire ‘I came close to leaving,’ Son told the Evening Standard. ‘I went to the gaffer’s office and told him I didn’t feel comfortable and wanted to leave for Germany.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘The gaffer trusted me and I am so grateful.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘He made my dream come true. I am more than grateful [to him] — it is difficult to say. I have worked four years with the gaffer. It is just amazing.‘I think I am the happiest guy in the world, especially in the Premier League. It is an honour to play in the Premier League.’Tottenham’s next fixture is against Arsenal on Saturday before a game against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday.MORE: What Pochettino has told Levy amid Man Utd and Real Madrid linksWill Spurs finish in the top four?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your results Heung-min Son reveals why he asked to leave Tottenham back in 2016center_img Coming Next About Connatix V67539 Metro Sport ReporterFriday 1 Mar 2019 12:54 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE PLAY SPONSORED by Metro Video Settings Read More Read More 1 min. story Skip Advertisementlast_img read more