Largest ever fundraising target sought for Irish hospital

first_img AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis The proposed new National Paediatric Hospital (NPH) in Dublin will need to raise €200 million from voluntary sources, according to reports in the Sunday Business Post.The NPH has not revealed whether it has yet raised any of the €200 million required. A €200 million campaign would be the largest ever undertaken in Ireland outside the education field.At €650 million, it is one of the most significant capital projects for Ireland’s health service to date. However, many medical professionals have “serious concerns” about the new site’s space constraints and the capital deficit that needs to be met by the €200 million fundraising target.The Post says that the NPH is seeking over €130 million from the National Lottery and around €17 million in funding from the capital’s universities, in addition to €23 million from research bodies including the Children’s Medical and Research Foundation, the fundraising umbrella for both Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin, and the research centre.‘”That raises major issues about donor intent,” one hospital consultant at Crumlin hospital told the Post. Tagged with: Funding Individual giving Ireland Howard Lake | 27 July 2010 | News Largest ever fundraising target sought for Irish hospital  20 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.last_img read more

Overview of Reporters Without Borders financial aid to journalists and media in danger in 2009

first_imgd. Supporting local media in difficultyUnder its mandate of support for local media, Reporters Without Borders helped FM Liberté, a Chadian radio station that had to stop broadcasting because a short-circuit badly damaged its transmitter and amplifier in February 2009. Run by a coalition of NGOs and a labour union with the aim of providing general news with an emphasis on human rights, the station had been closed several times in the past by the authorities for “operating illegally” or “deviant behaviour.” By paying for most of the repair costs, Reporters Without Borders enabled it to resume broadcasting quickly. News 3. Purpose of grantsThe purpose of the 134 grants approved in 2009 was to meet such needs as support for media, protection of journalists, assistance for refugee journalists, assistance with payment of medical or legal fees, support for families and compensation for lost income. Reporters Without Borders approved 134 assistance grants in 2009 under its mandate to help journalists and media in danger. The grants, with a total value of just over 110,000 euros, enabled journalists and their families to cope with difficulties linked to their work. They were sent to the five regions of the world covered by our organisation: Maghreb and Middle East, Asia, Africa, Europe and ex-USSR, and Americas. April 22, 2010 – Updated on January 25, 2016 Overview of Reporters Without Borders financial aid to journalists and media in danger in 2009 Help by sharing this information RSF_en Organisation 1. Distribution of grants by regionEighty-four per cent of the 134 grants approved in 2009 went to journalists and media facing an immediate danger in the Maghreb and Middle East, Asia and Africa. The breakdown of this 84 per cent was 37 per cent to the Maghreb and Middle East, 26 per cent to Africa and 21 per cent to Asia.The high percentage going to the Maghreb and Middle East was the result of a Reporters Without Borders campaign of support of Iranian journalists. Facing arrest and prevented from doing their job, more than 50 Iranian journalists have had to flee the country since President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s disputed reelection on 12 June 2009. Since the start of this campaign, the French authorities have responded favourably to requests for emergency visas submitted by our organisation, which undertook in return to be responsible for the travel costs of those who were given visas, assist them with all the administrative steps linked to the asylum requests and award them grants that would enable them to pay for their basic needs. As facilities for receiving asylum-seekers in the Paris area were saturated, Reporters Without Borders also took charge of finding accommodation for 14 journalists and their families (21 people in all). 2. Grant recipientsJournalists who had sought refuge abroad and journalists under threat in their own country received more than 100 assistance grants in 2009. The next biggest category of recipient was imprisoned journalists, who – through their families – received 10 per cent of the grants, following by independent media, hospitalised journalists and their families. Reporters Without Borders also approved a few grants to press freedom organisations. c. Paying medical or legal fees and supporting the families of journalists in difficultyAround ten grants were to help pay for medical or legal fees. Egyptian blogger Tamer Mabrouk, for example, received a grant after being sentenced to pay 6,000 euros in damages for accusing a company of pollution. In September 2009, Reporters Without Borders helped pay for the travel costs and medical fees of a Gambian journalist who needed hospital treatment aboard.Reporters Without Borders also helped the families of several journalists who were hospitalised or imprisoned by paying them part of the income they would have received if their breadwinner had not been prevented from working. This represented 7 per cent of the total value of the grants approved in 2009. b. Protecting journalists and media in dangerOf the 134 grants, 22 per cent was to help protect media and journalists in danger. In July 2009, for example, Reporters Without Borders sent 2,000 dollars and 20 bullet-proof vests to 15 journalists and employees of some of the leading media in Somali. Without a stable government since 1991, Somalia is the deadliest country in Africa for journalists. Seventeen journalists have been gunned down since 2007 and many others continue to be physically attacked, arrested or kidnapped. a. Assisting refugee journalistsThe purpose of almost a third of the approved grants, 31 per cent, was to assist refugee journalists. It consisted above all of money sent to journalists after they had fled their country, and its purpose was to help them pay for essential needs. For example, 700 euros was sent to an Iranian journalist to enable him to get away from a place where he was in danger. Iranian intelligence agents had contacted members of his family, told them his exact address in the country to which he had fled, and threatened to bring him back to Iran by force. A rapid response by Reporters Without Borders allowed him to move out and find a place where he would be safe.last_img read more

moe. Announces Webcast For Video Game-Themed Halloween Celebration

first_imgmoe. is celebrating Halloween on Saturday, October 27th, at The Fillmore Philadelphia with a special video game-themed “night at the arcade.” For fans that can’t make it, the band is offering a live stream via nugs.tv, available in SD and HD webcasts here.In order to get fans in the gamer spirit for Halloween, the band recently launched Buster Brawl, an NES-style 8-bit video game in which the user plays the titular flying pig from the band’s “Buster”. The band encourages fans to “Grab your Mountain Dew and mozzarella, get that perfect amount of grease on the joystick, test your skills at Buster Brawl to make sure you are properly ready for Vintage Video Game Night right here on the .org!!!” Try your hand at “Buster Brawl” on the band’s website now.While moe. was forced to take last Halloween off as bassist Rob Derhak received treatment for cancer, moe. has celebrated Quentin Tarantino films (2016), Star Wars movies (2015), The Big Lebowski (2014), and more in the past. This year’s video game theme should make for another special All Hallows Eve with moe.!For a full list of moe.’s upcoming tour dates, head to the band’s website.last_img read more

The United States Suspends Private Charter Flights to Cuba

first_imgIn making his announcement, Pompeo slammed the regime in Cuba for continuing to jail reporters and pro-democracy activists, suppress dissent, oversee “horrific” physical abuse and prop up President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela, among other offenses. “The suspension of private charter flights will deny economic resources to the Castro regime and inhibit its capacity to carry out abuses,” Pompeo said in a statement. “This administration will continue to target and cut the revenue the Cuban government earns from landing fees, stays in regime-owned hotels, and other travel-related income,” Pompeo added. The United States is suspending private charter flights to Cuba Eva Marie UZCATEGUI AFP/File The Cuban military and intelligence services own and operate the great majority of hotels and tourism infrastructure in Cuba. The United States said they urge travelers of all nationalities to consider this and to make responsible decisions regarding travel to Cuba. WASHINGTON – The Secretary of State in the United States, Mike Pompeo, on Thursday said that the United States is suspending private charter flights to Cuba as another way to starve the government in Havana of revenue. “Unfortunately, the Castro regime has not changed its repressive and undemocratic behavior. It continues to imprison journalists and democracy activists, to oversee horrific physical abuse, to perpetuate the de facto dictatorship in Venezuela, to repress freedom of religion or belief, and to silence and intimidate those who speak truth about the reality in Cuba,” the US State department statement said.last_img read more