Founded in 1990, The Shirt Project is the largest student-run fundraiser at the University of Notre Dame. The project’s president and vice presidents estimate that it is also the number-one-selling single piece of collegiate apparel, selling over 150,000 units each year in the last few years.Currently, the project is celebrating its 25th anniversary by auctioning off 24 of the 26 Shirts, signed by coaches and players who were at the University during each of those respective years. The auction will run until Dec. 10.The Shirt Committee’s current vice president Molly Howell, who will be replaced next semester when she goes abroad, described the circumstances surrounding the creation of The Shirt.“It started in 1990, it was the idea of a student [Brennan Harvath] who ran An Tostal,” Howell said. “He worked on it over the summer between his junior and senior year. It was his idea to use the shirt to raise funds for An Tostal.“He had a design in mind, and then he worked with hall presidents and different people on campus — through letters really, over the summer — to sell the shirt and have it ready for the first game. So that sort of started the mission of the Shirt in the sense that its funds were meant to be used to support the student body and student activities.”President of The Shirt Committee junior Abbey Dankoff said Harvath also hoped to use the shirt as a way to unite the student body.“He told us this recently … that he was a member of the band so one of the major reasons that he wanted to start The Shirt was that they all had to wear uniforms in the band,” Dankoff said. “He thought there should be a unifying front for the students as well. He really liked that idea, a unified student section.”Howell said the first Shirt sold out in its first weekend. After its initial success, another Shirt was created for the University’s Miami game later in the 1990 season, she said.“Later in the season, a graduate student had been injured in a car accident and so they decided to create [the] second Shirt,” Howell said. “This didn’t come from Harvath, but others on campus saw the success of the first shirt and decided that they would like to do another t-shirt sale to raise funds for the student because he was suffering from extraordinary medical costs. It did very well as well.“That established the second part of the Shirt as it is today — part of the profits go to a certain fund that helps students that are suffering from extraordinary medical conditions and have these costs that they just can’t afford to pay.”Dankoff said about 2 million Shirts have been sold in the last 25 years and around $8 million raised. Dankoff said that the committee does not have concrete numbers because good records were not kept during the first few years of The Shirt Project. Until several years ago there were only six members of The Shirt Committee, and presently there are ten, Dankoff said.“So the Shirt has definitely grown and evolved in the last 25 years. And today, it’s a little different, it still has the basic mission to support and unite the student body, but the funds go a few different places now,” Howell said. “Once we have the profits from the shirt, which go directly to us, they are divided into two separate accounts. One is the Student Union, and one is the Shirt Charity Endowment.”Half of the profit money goes to the Student Union, and it is then split into two parts; some goes to help to help fund the more than 400 clubs on campus, and to alleviate the student activity fee that, because of the money from The Shirt, has not gone up since 2010 according to Howell. The other money that goes to the Student Union goes into the Student Union endowment, which allows for The Shirt Project to grow, Howell said.The other half goes towards charities funded by The Shirt Project, Howell said.“It goes to two different things; one is the Rector Fund, which people might be familiar with,” Howell said. “It’s the fund that students can apply to get funds from, for football tickets, for dance tickets, for senior photos; things that most Notre Dame students do and participate in but that do have a financial component. If they can’t afford it, they apply for the Rector Fund. It’s called the Rector Fund because you go through you rector to apply for it.”Dankoff said another important aspect of the rector fund is academic instead of social.“We do currently also cover textbooks while supplies last, but traditionally the rector fund is completely used up before winter break, within the fall semester it is usually used up,” Dankoff said. “We are actually working currently on a reallocation of the rector fund and a redistribution towards it that would allow more money to go there.”Howell said the second part of the money from The Shirt charities goes to helping students with large medical costs.“The second portion of funds goes to The Shirt charity medical account,” Howell said. “Students may also apply to that one if they are for whatever reason unfortunately suffering from extraordinary illness or an accident and they have these medical costs. That’s confidential, and we don’t deal directly with those individuals, it goes through the financial management board which is run by students.”With the proposed reallocation of funds, Howell said there would be $100,000 in the medical account at all times, while the remainder of the charity money would go to the Rector Fund, which is funded solely by The Shirt Project. Ideally, this would make more funds available to students.“Our main message is that all the funds in different ways are returned back to the student body, or are available for the student body to use,” Howell said.Dankoff and Howell both stressed that the purpose of The Shirt Project is to aid students at the University.“Just by purchasing a shirt, students are really supporting themselves and supporting everybody else at this university,” Dankoff said. “It really kind of adds to the inclusiveness of the mission of Notre Dame as a whole.”Tags: Shirt Charity Endowment, Student Union, The Shirt, The Shirt Project
University of Vermont,Last week, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) approved a three-year, $590,000 project for complex systems research by the University of Vermont Complex Systems Center and IBM Research into the future reliability of the smart grid. U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy secured an initial $500,000 for the UVM program, which then attracted an additional $90,000 in resources through the UVM-IBM partnership. Led by Drs. Paul Hines (RELATED STORY) and Chris Danforth, two faculty in the UVM Complex Systems Center and assistant professors in the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences (CEMS), the UVM-IBM project uses complex systems modeling approaches to reduce the risk of large blackouts caused by cascading failure in the electricity infrastructure. The research will focus on the development of new methods, based on complex systems concepts and high-performance computing, for estimating and reducing cascading failure risks ‘invaluable information as Vermont actively develops the nation’s first, statewide smart grid infrastructure.”Implementation of a statewide Smart Grid holds tremendous promise to improve the daily lives of Vermonters,’ said Leahy, ‘The research conducted by UVM and IBM through this public-private partnership will improve the reliability of the power grid and help anticipate some of the unforeseen challenges posed by this new technology. Vermont is poised to lead the pack on Smart Grid adoption and this funding will help solidify that position.”‘IBM’s Vermont site has a long history of success working with UVM and we’re pleased that this collaboration has now been extended to include IBM Research, said Janette Bombardier, director, IBM Vermont site operations and senior location executive. ‘IBM has used systems modeling and monitoring to improve energy use at its Vermont facility, and this research will focus on how to apply similar techniques to create a more stable and reliable electric grid for Vermont and nationwide.’”The growing UVM-IBM partnership in complex systems approaches and high performance computing on issues critical to the State of Vermont and our nation showcases excellence in both institutions,” said UVM Vice President for Research Domenico Grasso, “I sincerely thank Senator Leahy for his support of this important research and look forward to our faculty’s continued collaborations with IBM.”IBM will leverage the team’s development of computationally efficient complex systems of systems approaches and Hybrid High Performance Computing (HPC) implementations, to compliment its “Smarter Energy” research agenda. The computationally-rigorous field of complex systems is extremely well-suited to this research ‘ simulating complex interactions of technological, human, and environmental systems, among others. Complex systems was recently identified by UVM as one of three transdisciplinary ‘Spires of Excellence’ for university-wide strategic investment.Professor Hines moved to the UVM College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences in 2007 after earning degrees in engineering and public policy from Carnegie-Mellon University. He has been active in Vermont energy systems education efforts and, in addition to his position at UVM, holds an adjunct position with Vermont Law School. Professor Danforth, Hines’ co-investigator, moved to UVM from the University of Maryland and is an expert in the modeling of chaotic interactions. Danforth is engaged in complex systems modeling studies ranging from the ‘emotional state of the blogosphere’ to blood coagulation and is also a national leader in math and climate system education both at UVM and through the Governor’s Institutes of Vermont (GIV) program for Vermont high schools. (Photo courtesy of David R. Tribble, used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License and the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike License)RELATED:http://vermontbiz.com/article/november/qa-uvms-paul-hines-safety-electri…
Equinor has achieved first oil from the Mariner field in the UK North Sea .The field is expected to produce more than 300 million barrels of oil over the next 30 years.“The start-up of Mariner, the first Equinor-operated oil field on the UKCS, establishes our foothold in the UK and reinforces our commitment to be a long-term energy partner,” said Hedda Felin, senior vice president for UK and Ireland Offshore in Equinor.The Mariner reservoirs have up to 3 billion barrels of oil in place, a 50% increase on what was originally assumed, and the estimated recovery rate has already been increased by 20 percent.Mariner is expected to produce annual average plateau rates of around 55,000 barrels of oil per day and up to 70,000 barrels of oil per day at peak production.“By gathering and interpreting new seismic data we have improved our understanding of the reservoirs. This has resulted in fewer and better placed wells and increased resources since the project was sanctioned in 2012. With the significant volumes in place, we see clear potential to further increase the oil recovery from the Mariner field and will proactively seek opportunities to do so through the application of new technology, additional drilling and future tie back opportunities,” said Anders Opedal, executive vice president for Technology, Projects and Drilling in Equinor.Mariner is one of the largest industrial projects in the UK in recent years. A gross investment of more than $7.7 billion, the development will support more than 700 long term jobs and generate significant revenue in the supply chain for decades to come. Contracts worth more than $1.3 billion have been awarded to UK suppliers since the project started.“With the start -up of Mariner, we have delivered one of the most complex developments in the North Sea and Equinor’s portfolio. We will continue to apply digital solutions and new technology to deliver safe and efficient operations and optimize production,” said Opedal.Digital solutions include automated drilling, digital twin, field worker tools, and digitized logistics to support operational and field maintenance planning.“Many have played a part in bringing Mariner onstream safely including our partners, contractors and suppliers, and we are grateful for their important contributions,” Felin added.
Atlanta United confirms second positive coronavirus case No additional positive results for players or staff were received Friday. The club announced its first positive result for a player on Thursday. The second player was asymptomatic and has been in isolation since Wednesday, adhering with MLS health and safety protocols that require at least two positive tests to ensure the first result was not a false positive. The team conducted non-contact, individual training sessions on Friday and Saturday and will continue non-contact training on Monday. Mandatory COVID-19 testing will take place again Monday. If negative test results for all players and staff are received, the team will resume full team training on Tuesday.Since Atlanta United began individual player workouts on May 6, the club has followed MLS health and safety guidelines, including physical distancing and sanitizing during individual workouts, small group training sessions and full group training sessions. The club works in consultation with the CDC, local health authorities and MLS regarding testing and training guidelines.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Atlanta United confirmed a second positive result for a player following mandatory club testing on Friday. Associated Press June 20, 2020 ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports ___French soccer authorities are allowing fans back into stadiums from July 10, with an initial limit of 5,000.Noël Le Graët, president of the French Football Federation, says it is possible more spectators will be allowed into the French Cup final at the end of July and for the resumption of top-tier Ligue 1 play at the end of August.The federation’s executive committee will discuss the new measures and the specifics of the new calendar on Monday.The French government called off the country’s 2019-20 soccer season on April 28 as part of efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic. According to the Sun, the 22-year-old Matthews has self-quarantined in his Arizona home and hopes to be ready to play if the NHL season resumes. The NHL hopes to open training camps next month, and finish off the 2019-20 season later this summer.Matthews had 47 goals and 33 assists in 70 games before the suspension of the season on March 12.Toronto goaltender Frederik Andersen stayed with Matthews in Arizona for the first stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, but according to the Toronto Sun he tested negative for the novel coronavirus and is no longer in Arizona.Arizona has seen a recent spike in COVID-19 cases. On Friday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 3,246 new positive cases of COVID-19, exceeding Thursday’s single-day high of 2,519 cases.The league said Friday that it has tested more than 200 players at club facilities during voluntary training since June 8, with 11 testing positive. ___The Toronto Maple Leafs will not comment on reports that star player Auston Matthews has tested positive for the coronavirus.The Toronto Sun and The Toronto Star report that the center tested positive. The Leafs say a player’s medical information is private.Toronto is deferring to the NHL’s policy on handling test results, with the league providing updates on testing totals and positive tests without disclosing the identities of affected clubs or players. Judd Moldaver, Matthews’s agent, did not respond to requests for comment. Three members of the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers have tested positive for the novel coronavirus at the team’s training facility, and the Bucs have closed affected areas of the building.The team said those areas will remain closed until extensive sanitizing is completed. All individuals who may have been exposed have been notified, the Bucs said in a statement, “and are following the established protocols, which include a 14-day quarantine period.” The team did not identify three people who tested positive.Team headquarters is remaining open under the first phase of the NFL’s reopening plan.Earlier this week, the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning closed their facility after three players and two staff members tested positive.
Coming off a decisive victory against Utah Saturday to close out the regular season, the USC men’s swimming team is poised to defend its Pac-12 conference championship crown.The Utes (1-7, 0-3 Pac-12) were up against a tough opponent in the Trojans (9-1, 4-1), who had only dropped one dual meet coming into the weekend. It may have been Senior Night in Salt Lake City, but it turned out to be USC’s crop of young stars who owned the day.Sophomore standout Ralf Tribuntsov led the charge for USC, winning both the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly to score huge point totals for his team. Before capturing victories in his solo events, he set the tone with a strong opening in the day’s first event: the 200-yard medley relay. Alongside a trio of talented freshmen, Carsten Vissering, Alex Velante and Kyle Grissom, Tribuntsov helped the Trojans to a winning time of 1:28:28.“This is always a tough venue to compete in,” head coach Dave Salo said of the Ute Natatorium, Utah’s 43-year-old swim complex. “I’m really proud of the effort on the part of the freshmen again stepping up and racing hard … Ralf again held his own in the fly and back.”Vissering followed his efforts in the relay with a razor-thin victory in the 100-yard breaststroke — his time of 55.42 was just 0.02 seconds faster than Utah sophomore Jack Burton. Trojan junior Steven Stumph finished third, helping his team’s overall point total.Valente also won the 200-yard butterfly after being edged out by Tribuntsov’s “B”-cut (and USC’s season record) time in the 100-yard butterfly. USC senior captain Ted Singley followed closely behind, touching the wall just 0.08 seconds after Valente.The Trojan freshmen continued to impress, as Grissom, Patrick Mulcare and Tim Wynter would win the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle and 200-yard backstroke, respectively. Stumph joined the party of USC’s first-place finishers with his win in the 200-yard breaststroke, and the Trojan quartet of Wynter, sophomore Jon Knox, Valente and junior Michael Domagala bookended the day with a win in the 400-yard freestyle relay.On the diving board, USC seniors Deon Reid and Collin Pollard placed second and third on the 1-meter, and senior Dashiell Enos notched USC’s top finish on the 3-meter.With Saturday’s victory, the Trojans finish the regular season with just one blemish on their record: a November loss to now-17th ranked Arizona in Tucson. Incidentally, USC has beaten two teams currently ranked ahead of them: No. 2 California and No. 8 Stanford. Both of those victories came earlier this month at home in the Uytengsu Aquatics Center, and it’s a good bet that the Trojans will face off against both squads again in the Pac-12 Conference Championships.With the regular season now concluded, the Trojans will focus all of their efforts to the postseason, where they hope to defend their title. The swimming championships will begin on Mar. 2 in Federal Way, Washington and the diving championships will take place Mar. 9-11.