Barclays Premier League boss Scudamore admitted he was not sorry to see Suarez join Barcelona, praising shrewd business from Liverpool in offloading the controversial Uruguay striker. Catalan giants Barcelona prised Suarez away from Liverpool in a £75million transfer. The 27-year-old was hit with a four-month ban from all football-related activity after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil. Chief executive Scudamore conceded the Premier League will be a calmer place this season without Suarez, whose latest ban is his third for biting. “I think probably the time had come,” said Scudamore. “He’s a great player and I’m not taking anything away from his talents: he was voted by both his own players and the media last year the player of the year and deservedly so. “He’s great to have but an accident waiting to happen, and if you spend your time trying to promote what’s good about the Premier League, you’re always waiting for the next thing to come along. “And this one in the summer, although it was with Uruguay, although it didn’t directly involve the Premier League, clearly it reflected on Liverpool as one of our great clubs. “And it reflected on us. “He’s done his time here, but I can’t say I’m sorry to see him go. Luis Suarez was “an accident waiting to happen” and the “time had come” for him to leave Liverpool this summer, according to Richard Scudamore. Press Association “I think it was good business on a number of levels from Liverpool to move Suarez on.” Suarez has appealed against his four-month FIFA ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and will learn the outcome on Thursday. The 78-cap striker was banned for 10 games for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic in 2013 and sidelined for seven matches for doing the same to PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal in Ajax action in 2010. Scudamore said the Premier League does not need “every world mega star” to continue to flourish. Former Ajax striker Suarez netted 31 league goals last term, his departure leaving a chasm for Reds manager Brendan Rogers to fill, but Scudamore rejected suggestions the Premier League cannot retain its top talents. “We lost David Beckham as well, remember, we do often lose one or two,” said Scudamore, talking at the Premier League season launch. Former Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann echoed Scudamore’s opinion that the club will be better off in the long term without Luis Suarez. Hamann, speaking at a McDonald’s and Football Association Community Football Day, told Press Association Sport: “I think Liverpool have bought well. “I have always been very critical of Suarez’s antics. “In footballing terms, he is a big loss, but somebody else will score the goals and I think, long-term, they will be better off without him than with him. “I’d rather have the six or seven players they have now than Suarez, because at the end of the day, if you want to win things, you need people you can trust, and he can’t be trusted. “If he does something stupid again, he could be out for years, or for good. “Yes, he has been great, there is no doubt about it. But what could have been if he had not missed all the games he did when he was here? Maybe the team would have been in the Champions League a while ago. “All he has to show from his time at Liverpool is a League Cup winner’s medal (from 2011/12). He is not leaving a team that was ruling the Premier League or Europe during that the last few years. “He is a player who scored goals, but at the end of the day they only got into the Champions League with him last season.” :: Dietmar Hamann joined kids at Burnage Metro FC in Manchester to celebrate the work of FA Charter Standard clubs at a McDonald’s and FA Community Football Day. For more info visit www.McDonalds.co.uk/betterplay
Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Wake Forest all-conference wide receiver Sage Surratt has opted out of the coming season to prepare for the NFL draft amid the coronavirus pandemic. Tickets will cost $150 per game.___Roma goalkeeper Antonio Mirante says he has the coronavirus but is currently asymptomatic.The 37-year-old Mirante says in a video on Instagram that he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is in isolation.He says “I feel well, I have no symptoms, neither a fever nor a cough.” August 19, 2020 ___Appalachian State has paused football practices after reporting a coronavirus cluster involving the team.The school in Boone, North Carolina, says athletic director Doug Gillin has suspended practice “until further consultation warrants a change in status.”The decision announced Tuesday night comes after there were active cases reported for seven students and four staffers. The school said health officials have instructed the individuals to isolate while recovering, while those in close contact with the active cases have been instructed to quarantine.___ Associated Press The Latest: Wake Forest star receiver opts out of season The news comes a day after Roma announced that two of its youth team players had tested positive for the virus.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Surratt announced his decision Wednesday on social media, citing “the many uncertainties and risks associated with COVID-19.” Surratt said he’s set to earn an economics degree in December, saying the school in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, has “forever transformed my life.”“My experience at Wake Forest has been extraordinary, and I leave with a humble and grateful heart,” Surratt said.The 6-foot-3, 215-pound redshirt junior made The Associated Press’ All-Atlantic Coast Conference first team last season after hauling in 66 catches for 1,001 yards and 11 touchdowns in nine games before going down with an injury. The 1,001 yards were the best for all power-conference receivers at the time of the injury, with four games of at least 150 yards last season.Surratt’s brother, Chazz, plays linebacker at North Carolina after starting his career as a quarterback and is also an NFL prospect.UNC team spokesman Jeremy Sharpe says in an email that Chazz Surratt’s status remains unchanged. ___The Georgia Bulldogs are planning to have some fans for their football games played between the hedges.The university announced ticket plans that call for allowing 20 to 25% capacity at 92,746-seat Sanford Stadium, where the field is surrounded by hedges. That would mean maximum crowds of between 18,500 and 23,000 for Georgia’s four home games in 2020.The Bulldogs are offering single-game tickets in hopes of accommodating as many season ticket holders as possible for games against Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.The school says those who choose not to attend games this fall will be eligible for a refund on all donations and season ticket purchases, while retaining their preferred status for 2021. The largest 10-kilometer road race in the United States will be run virtually in 2020.The Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta, which has been held on the Fourth of July since its inaugural event in 1970, shifted to a Thanksgiving date in hopes of staging the race during the coronavirus pandemic. It normally attracts some 60,000 runners.But the Atlanta Track Club now says the race will not be run down the city’s famed Peachtree Street because of safety concerns. Georgia has been one of the nation’s hardest-hit states during the pandemic, recording nearly 250,000 confirmed cases and more than 4,700 deaths.“As coronavirus has spiked in recent weeks here in Georgia, we recognize that this decision is the best and only responsible way forward,” executive director Rich Kenah said in a statement.The track club now plans a virtual event that will allow runners to experience some of the race’s traditions and compare their times with others who take part.
“Whether I can play depends on my continued progress and recovery.”Woods, now ranked 711 in the world, suggested he will compete in the Turkish Airlines Open in November and the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas in December.He also plans to take part in the Tiger Woods Invitational on 10 and 11 October.“It could be a fun fall,” said Woods. “It was difficult missing tournaments that are important to me, but this time I was smart about my recovery and didn’t rush it. But I missed competing.”Woods had a back operation in March 2014, another in September 2015 and a follow-up procedure to relieve discomfort.He missed the Masters in April 2016 for only the second time since his debut in 1995.Although he registered for the US Open in June, he pulled out a week before the tournament because he was not “physically ready”.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Fourteen-time major winner Tiger Woods hopes to return to action in October after more than a year out with injury.The 40-year-old American has twice had back surgery since his last appearance, at the Wyndham Championship in August 2015.He is aiming to play in the Safeway Open in California starting on 13 October.“My hope is to have my game ready to go,” said former world number one Woods.“My rehabilitation is to the point where I’m comfortable making plans, but I still have work to do.