Palace: ABS-CBN ‘could have done more’ during COVID-19 relief

first_img“I know you donated P200 million of your own money but the rest you raised from your TV programs through your calls for donation,” he added. “I don’t know why ABS-CBN could not have done more like what the Ayalas and MVP did.” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said, while the Lopez-owned company shelled out P200 million for relief operations, the rest of its donation was obtained from calls for help through its programs. Roque again insisted that Duterte was not referring to the Lopezes of ABS-CBN as the oligarchs he dismantled sans martial law declaration amid the audio leakage of his supposed speech in Jolo, Sulu earlier this week. “I am not spinning. I am repeating what the President said, that he takes pride in dismantling them [Ayalas and Pangilinan],” Roque said. “Documentary evidence would show that it was Congress who threw out the franchise application of ABS-CBN. That cannot be attributed to the President.” “The difference is they [Ayalas, MVP] delivered in time of crisis. Hindi ko naman maintindihan kasi why ABS-CBN did not do that,” Roque said in an interview with ABS-CBN News Channel.center_img Duterte has earlier threatened to send the Ayalas and Pangilinan to jail because of an existing water concessionaire agreement with the government, which was supposedly disadvantageous to the people./PN MANILA –Malacañang believes that ABS-CBN Corp. “could have done more” to help during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) crisis, just like the Ayala Group and Manuel V. Pangilinan, who “delivered at a time of crisis” and gave donations “on their own.” The Palace spokesperson made the comment on ABS-CBN’s relief efforts when asked about President Rodrigo Duterte’s fresh tirades against the network, just days after the denial of its franchise by a House committee dominated by his allies.last_img read more

With Southern California job filled, Hopkins focused on winning another national championship

first_img Published on April 5, 2013 at 6:59 pm Contact Chris: [email protected] | @chris_iseman Facebook Twitter Google+ ATLANTA – In the middle of trying to prepare Syracuse for its Final Four matchup with Michigan, Mike Hopkins learned he won’t be getting the chance to become a head coach in his native southern California.Hopkins interviewed for the Southern California head coach opening last month, and was considered a strong candidate. But that was before Florida Gulf Coast went on a run through the NCAA Tournament before falling to Florida in the Sweet 16, sending head coach Andy Enfield into the national spotlight.The Trojans took notice, and hired Enfield to be their head coach late Monday night. In Syracuse’s Georgia Dome locker room on Friday, Hopkins said it was a “great process” despite the outcome of USC’s coaching search.“Obviously it didn’t work out, but I’ve got a great thing at Syracuse,” Hopkins said. “I’m focused on winning this national championship and hopefully winning another one.”Hopkins is head coach Jim Boeheim’s eventual successor. Boeheim said Tuesday there isn’t anyone Southern California could’ve hired that would’ve been better than Hopkins.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBut the Trojans went with Enfield instead. Hopkins will remain as Syracuse’s head coach in waiting. Commentscenter_img Related Stories Syracuse-Michigan promises showdown of in-form shooters Southerland, StauskasCarter-Williams, Burke renew 10th-grade duel in Final FourSoutherland, Boeheim surprised Final Four run came this seasonMcGary’s rapid improvement adds another weapon to Michigan’s arsenalMcNamara outlines how he scouts Michigan ahead of Final Four matchuplast_img read more

Same ending: Steelers stun Bengals 28-21 on AB’s late TD

first_imgPittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown (84) runs for a touchdown in the second half of an NFL football game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Gary Landers) SHOCKING NUMBERSThe Steelers are 16-2 at Paul Brown Stadium during Marvin Lewis’ 16 seasons as the Bengals’ head coach, including playoff victories in 2005 and 2015. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is 20-5 against the Bengals. Andy Dalton is 3-12 against the Steelers, missing that 2015 playoff meltdown with a broken thumb.CONNER’S HISTORYJames Conner ran for 111 yards and a pair of touchdowns, his second straight 100-yard game. Conner joined Hall of Famers Franco Harris (1976) and Jerome Bettis (2004) as the only Steelers to run for seven touchdowns in the first six games of a season, excelling as Le’Veon Bell’s replacement. Bell reportedly will end his holdout this week during Pittsburgh’s bye.“What a great game,” Roethlisberger said. “Now I know it’s his last game for us, so we’re glad he did well in his last one.”Roethlisberger laughed, clarifying that he was going entirely off media reports and speculation about what happens when Bell returns.BLITZBURGHAfter getting shredded in September, the Steelers’ defense has come around in the last two games. It got six sacks in a 41-17 win over the Falcons and sacked Dalton three times. Pittsburgh limited the Bengals to 123 yards in the second half.BURFICT REPRISEIn his second game back from his latest NFL suspension, Burfict was at the center of the riled-up rivalry. He exchanged words with Roethlisberger 3 minutes into the game. A teammate pushed him away from Conner to help the linebacker avoid a penalty after a touchdown run. In the third quarter, Burfict hit Brown in the head as he was being tackled, but avoided a penalty. The NFL will review the play. In the locker room after the game, Burfict yelled at a reporter who asked another Bengals player about the hit on Brown.“A nasty hit,” Brown said.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL CINCINNATI (AP) — Joe Mixon scored on a 4-yard run and dashed toward the stands in celebration of Cincinnati’s go-ahead touchdown. On the Steelers sideline, Ben Roethlisberger looked at the clock, saw there was 1:18 left, and told his linemen not to fret.“They gave us too much time,” Big Ben said confidently.Somehow, the Steelers never run out of time at Paul Brown Stadium.Antonio Brown turned a short catch into a 31-yard touchdown with 10 seconds left Sunday, sending the Steelers to a 28-21 victory over the Bengals. They’ve now won seven straight against Cincinnati, a streak that includes highly improbable — and totally predictable — wins.The Steelers (3-2-1) sure saw it coming.“On the sideline before I went out, I told the guys, ‘This is what legacies are made of for all of us. Let’s go take care of business,’” Roethlisberger said.On the decisive play, Roethlisberger saw the Bengals (4-2) were set for an all-out blitz with no safeties guarding the end zone. He knew it would be a touchdown if he got the ball quickly to Brown, who caught it in stride, cut behind Justin Hunter’s block and ran untouched to the end zone.“We’ve been in that situation a lot, and I knew we were going to do it,” said Brown, who had five catches for 105 yards.During their seven-game winning streak, the Steelers have pulled them out at Paul Brown Stadium with 14 seconds, no seconds, and 10 seconds to go.Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon (28) celebrates his touchdown in the second half of an NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Gary Landers)They rallied to win a first-round playoff game in 2015 — aided by Vontaze Burfict hitting Brown in the head for a costly penalty — on Chris Boswell’s field goal with 14 seconds left. Last December, they overcame a 17-point deficit and won on Boswell’s field goal as time ran out.Now, this stunner.“We’re better than them,” Bengals cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick insisted. “They’re not better than us.”The statistics say otherwise. The Steelers have won 10 of 11 and 15 of 18 in the lopsided series.Some takeaways from Paul Brown Stadium:IT’S A RACEThe Bengals got an early cushion in the division by knocking off the Ravens and opening 4-1, their best start since they won the division in 2015. The Steelers got off to a ragged start at 1-2-1, but back-to-back wins over the Falcons and Bengals have evened up the division. The Bengals finish the season at Heinz Field.last_img read more

Field is set for 2016 Canadian Direct Insurance BC Men’s Curling Championship

first_img The teams that qualified in regional playdowns include Buchy and Ducharme, Team Richard, from Kelowna Curling Club, Team Longworth, from Vernon Curling Club, Team Craig, from Victoria Curling Centre, Team Dangerfield, from Victoria Curling Centre, Team Johnson, from Royal City Curling Club, Team Martyn, from Royal City Curling Club, Team Schneider, from Vancouver Curling Club and Team Wenzek, from Langley/Royal City Curling Clubs. The field for the 2016 Canadian Direct Insurance BC Men’s Curling Championship in Nelson is now set.Three teams have earned the final berths in the 16-team BC Championship field, a tournament that includes Tom Buchy of Kimberley and Creston’s Chris Ducharme, during qualifying this past weekend in Salmon Arm. Team Montgomery were the first to qualify by capturing the A event, with three straight wins. The team, of Skip Jason Montgomery, Third Miles Craig, Second Cameron De Jong, and lead Dave McGarry,  represent Victoria Curling Centre, but two of the team members (Montgomery and Craig) hail from Shawnigan Lake and also curl at Duncan Curling Club. This year’s Championship, which will be televised on Sportsnet, takes place at Nelson Curling Centre from February 10-14. For ticket information, and to find out more about the event, visit http://cdimens2016.curlbc.ca/. Ten teams had previously qualified at regional playdowns in December. In addition, Team Cotter, from Kelowna/Vernon, earned a trip back to provincials as the defending champions, along with the top two CTRS (Canadian Team Ranking System) points winners, Team Joanisse and Team Geall (both from Royal City Curling Club). The third and final team to qualify was Team House. The team of Skip Will House, Third Kelly McQuiggan, Second Greg Davis and Lead Thomas Sayer will represent Richmond Curling Club at the Nelson event.center_img Team Jackson, also from Victoria Curling Centre, grabbed the second spot with their only loss against Team Montgomery. Skipped by Glen Jackson, the team also features Third Andrew Komlodi, Second Corey Chester and Lead Joel Cave. Two Vancouver Island teams, Team Montgomery and Team Jackson, will be joined by Team House, from Richmond when the top curlers in BC flock to the Nelson Curling Club February 10-14 for a chance to represent the province at the Tim Hortons Brier in Ottawa. Team Wenzek had qualified for the BC Men’s event as a five-player team skipped by Tyler Tardi, but Tardi and the team’s fifth, Sterling Middleton, will be travelling to Norway for the Youth Olympics during the event. The team will now be playing as a three-player team of Daniel Wenzek, Jordan Tardi and Nicholas Meister. Team Buchy consists of the skip, former Brier rep Deane Horning at third, second Dave Toffolo and lead Darren Will while Ducharme is joined by third Josh Firman, second Jim Stewart, lead Jim Maccaulay and fifth man Brendan Stead. Visit http://www.playdowns.com to view past scores and to follow the scores and standings from the championship event.last_img read more