Is Stephen Daldry Frozen’s New Director?

first_imgStephen Daldry(Photo: Bruce Glikas) After a creative team shakeup, Frozen might just receive a jolt of “electricity.” Billy Elliot Tony winner Stephen Daldry is in talks to replace Alex Timbers as the director of the Broadway-bound Disney musical, according to the New York Post. A spokesperson for Disney Theatrical Productions declined to comment.Disney confirmed Timbers’ departure from the project on August 4. “Though we have chosen to go in another direction with this role,” Disney Theatrical President and Producer Thomas Schumacher said in a statement, “we are committed to seeing Frozen’s tremendous theatrical potential brought to life onstage.”The show is currently scheduled to make its world premiere in August 2017 at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts followed by a New York bow in spring 2018. The New York Post has previously reported that the musical would play the St. James Theatre—the current home of Something Rotten!. Jujamcyn Theatres recently announced renovations to the St. James to expand the back wall.Daldry won Tony Awards for directing Billy Elliot and An Inspector Calls; he was also nominated in 2015 for Skylight. Among his many additional credits are The Audience and Via Dolorosa on stage and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, The Readers and The Hours on screen. Daldry is also attached to the forthcoming big screen adaptation of Wicked.The stage adaptation of the Disney blockbuster will feature the beloved tunes (and several new ones) by married songwriting duo Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez and a book by screenwriter Jennifer Lee. According to a recent Equity casting notice, Tony winner Christopher Gattelli will choreograph, filling in for the previously reported Peter Darling. Frozen View Commentscenter_img Related Shows Show Closed This production ended its run on March 11, 2020last_img read more

Your credit union doesn’t need to jump off the bridge

first_img 1SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Melina Palmer Why do people say one thing and do another? What really drives behavior? How does the brain actually work – and how can we best communicate with it? What does that … Web: www.thebrainybusiness.com Details I am sure that everyone has heard their mother (father, teacher, aunt, uncle, grandparent) say, “If your friends jumped off a bridge would you do that too?” Most often, this question is met with eye-rolls and irritation from the person it was being said to. Or, possibly, a sarcastic remark (something I know nothing about, of course).As a grown up, this dilemma doesn’t go away, and it has a tendency to show up in our work more often than we may realize. For me, this has been incredibly apparent while my team has been eyeball deep in rebranding work. We knew going into this project that it was important for us to stand out and be different from the credit unions and banks in our area – and there are a lot of them in Seattle. I find myself looking at everything we do and have done and ask, “Why?” continually. “Why do we still have check writing stands in our branches?” “Why do people go to our website?” “Why do we have teller lines?”Some of these questions have good answers that coincide with the direction we are going now. Some do not. I have made it my personal mission to eradicate “because that is what the other financial institutions do” from our mindset. What was right yesterday is not necessarily right today, and what the members wanted last week is different from what they will want tomorrow. We need to be prepared for the future and constantly asking ourselves, “Why” (and all of those other “W” words).I came across a quote the other day (probably a Facebook meme or something, I can’t find it again now) but it said something along the lines of, “Just because everyone is doing things one way doesn’t make it right. And, just because no one is doing something doesn’t make it wrong.”With our new branding, we worked with local bands and artists and had them showcase their talents to show what truth means to them (Verity means truth). We essentially handed over our brand to these artists and had to have faith that it would fit us and resonate with our audiences. We only launched last month, but the results so far are promising. This isn’t really a common practice in our industry, and no one is doing anything like this in the Seattle area. Does that mean it is wrong? No. Is it right for everyone? No. Is it the right approach for Verity? Yes.There are still plenty of things we are doing at Verity that we need to examine to see if it is a “because everyone else does it” or “because that is the way we have always done it” item. And, making a commitment to this approach means we are signing on for a way of thinking – this isn’t a project that is ever really “done.” But committing to asking the question means we are committing to being exceptional and really doing what is in the best interest of our membership.Do you take the time to ask “Why?” enough? What are you doing wrong just because everyone else does it? If all the other credit unions decided to jump off of a bridge, would you jump too?last_img read more

Death row convicts in Jakarta appeal for abolition of capital punishment

first_imgDeath row inmates Aulia Kesuma and her son, Geovanni Kelvin, who were found guilty of soliciting the murders of Aulia’s husband and stepson, are seeking to avoid the death penalty.Both mother and son were sentenced to death by the South Jakarta district court on June 15. The court verdict was in accordance with the demands of the prosecutors, who claimed that both Aulia and Kelvin had committed a terrible and inhumane crime.Aulia and Kelvin planned the murder of 54-year-old Edi Chandra Purnama in August 2019. According to Aulia, who married Edi in 2011, her husband had not been employed during the entirety of their marriage. The relationship had never been harmonious, with the couple frequently fighting over the mischievous behavior of Edi’s son, Muhammad “Dana” Adi Pradana. Aulia, who was entangled in Rp 10 billion (US$706,120) debt to the bank, worried that Edi had no intention of helping her pay off her debt. Edi had refused Aulia’s request for him to sell his house in Lebak Bulus, South Jakarta, to pay her debt.On Aug. 23, 2019, Edi and Dana were given drinks spiked with 30 sleeping pills by Aulia and Kelvin. When the victims fell asleep, two hitmen hired by Aulia and Kelvin suffocated the two men. Afterwards, the bodies were transported to Sukabumi city in West Java where they were burned inside a car.Not long after the murder, the Jakarta Police arrested the mother and son after noticing Kelvin’s suspicious burn wound. Read also: Jump in death sentences highlights ‘hasty’ court cases After a lengthy trial, the court found Aulia and Kelvin guilty of soliciting the murders and sentenced the pair to death. The lawyer for the two defendants, Firman Candra, sent pleas addressed to eight state officials asking for the death penalty to be abolished.“On Friday, we sent the pleas to the President, the Vice President, the House Representatives Commission III, the law and human rights minister, the [Jakarta] High Court chief, the Supreme Court chief and the National Commission on Human Rights, among other parties,” Firman said on Tuesday as quoted by kompas.com.In the letters, the lawyer argued that the death penalty was a violation of Article 4 of Law No. 29/1999 on human rights and most importantly Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which stipulates that “everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.”“As long as the death penalty exists in Indonesia’s judicial system, the country will remain far from the founding fathers’ dream implied through Pancasila,” the plea read. “[Maintaining] the death penalty system inherited from colonizers does not demonstrate progress in this country.”The plea also pointed to several countries that abolished the death penalty in 2015.Read also: Rights groups decry new attorney general’s plan to resume death penaltyAccording to the Institute for Criminal Justice Reform’s (ICJR) 2020 database, there are 274 death row inmates in Indonesia awaiting execution without a clear date. Among them are 60 inmates who have been on death row for 10 years.Firman also explained that Aulia was raising a toddler from her marriage to her late husband, Edi.Amnesty International’s 2020 annual report states that 80 death sentences were meted out by Indonesian judges in 2019, a 66 percent increase from 48 death sentences in 2018.Sixty of the sentences were handed down for drug-related crimes, while the rest were for a range of other criminal offenses such as terrorism, murder and sexual assault against children. The death penalty in Indonesia has long been a source of criticism of the country’s legal system and stance on human rights.Ex-convicts and activists have also called for an end to capital punishment in Indonesia, arguing it violates fundamental human rights and is dangerous at a time when judicial systems are still prone to error.ICJR executive director Erasmus Napitupulu questioned the tendency of judges to hand down such severe sentences, as there is little proof that capital punishment is effective in deterring crimes.However, Vice President Ma’ruf Amin stated that, “despite many objections, the death penalty is actually permitted. Many countries and religions allow such punishment for certain crimes that cannot be effectively addressed through other methods [of punishment],” he said in December last year.Attorney General Sanitiar Burhanuddin also said last year that he was committed to resuming the enforcement of the death penalty. (trn)Topics :last_img read more

Cole’s ‘surprise’ phone calls inspired me more after I joined Man Utd

first_imgNigeria striker, Odion Ighalo, has sensationally revealed how England legend, Andy Cole’s phone calls had played a big role in his career before and after joined Manchester United in January. Odion Ighalo is only on loan at Manchester United until the end of the season Nigeria striker, Odion Ighalo, has sensational revealed how England legend, Andy Cole’s phone calls had played a big role in his career before and after joined Manchester United in January. The Nigerian completed a shock loan deal to the Red Devils in January, signing a short-term contract from the Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua. The 30-year-old’s arrival drew widespread skepticism from supporters and the media alike, with many believing United, had panicked with a move for the forward who had spent the last three years playing outside of Europe. Ighalo has since hit back at his critics, insisting that they’re the same people that are praising him now.Advertisement Loading… The Nigerian has made the critics eat their words with four goals in eight appearances for the Reds and he’s revealed that a call from Cole gave him a good feeling about the move. ‘I have a lot of memories of him [Cole] he’s one of the best goalscorers I’ve ever seen,’ said Ighalo. ‘He scored a lot of goals for Manchester United. The way he finished was brilliant. I have learned one or two things from watching [old clips]. ‘It’s a privilege talking with Cole. Even when I signed for Manchester United he gave me a surprise call early in the morning to congratulate me and wishing me well even before I started training with the team. ‘I cherish that the most. it’s one of those great things, an idol like that from Manchester United before I even started kicking a ball. I appreciated it so much.’ read also:Man Utd hero ‘really pleased’ with Ighalo Shanghai are content with allowing Ighalo to leave but they want a fee of around £15m. Ighalo, a boyhood United fan, recently revealed that Cole and strike partner Dwight Yorke were his heroes growing up. ‘I had a lot of football heroes,’ Ighalo said. ‘When I started supporting Man United, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole were my heroes growing up – and some Nigerian players as well like Jay-Jay Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu.’ FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img Promoted Content5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksPortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D GraffitiWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?The Funniest Prankster Grandma And Her Grandson7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do20 Facts That’ll Change Your Perception Of “The Big Bang Theory”Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Scenes That Prove TV Has Gone Too FarA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs18 Beautiful Cities That Are Tourist MagnetsEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show Youlast_img read more

Injured Clippers guards Avery Bradley, Jawun Evans might need surgery, Doc Rivers says

first_imgThe Clippers (31-27) could use a healthy Bradley as they attempt to rally for a playoff spot in the final 24 games of the regular season, including in Tuesday’s contest against the Nuggets in Denver. Bradley is renowned as one of the NBA’s best defenders at his position.Bradley filled a void created when guard Patrick Beverley, another standout defender, underwent season-ending knee surgery Nov. 22. The Clippers acquired Bradley, Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic and two draft picks in the deal that sent Blake Griffin to the Detroit Pistons on Jan. 29.“He’s one of the, if not the best, he’s one of the top five defensive guys on the ball in the league,” Rivers said of Bradley, who sat out for seven games because of the injury while with the Pistons earlier this season. “And that’s all movement there (in a players’ core muscles). So it’s tough blow.”Bradley hasn’t played since the Clippers’ victory Feb. 14 over the Boston Celtics, their final game before the All-Star break. He didn’t play in their loss Thursday to the Golden State Warriors or their victory Friday over the Phoenix Suns. He’s averaged 9.2 points in six games since the trade.Evans last played Jan. 20. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Clippers played one game with their anticipated starting lineup this season. They lost point guard Milos Teodosic to a foot injury in the first half of their second game of the season and haven’t been whole since then, defying the odds to remain competitive in the Western Conference.At one point earlier in the season, they were without four of their opening-night starters.Rivers has used 28th different starting lineups this season.In addition to Bradley and Evans, the Clippers also could play Tuesday without power forward Danilo Gallinari, who has a bruised hand. Gallinari might play in Wednesday’s home game against the Houston Rockets if he’s unable to play Tuesday against the Nuggets.“We’ve just got to push forward,” Rivers said of chasing a playoff spot with an injury-depleted roster. “Obviously, this is a stretch run right here, so it’s frustrating, probably more frustrating for everyone right now. But we have to figure out a way to win this game (Tuesday against the Nuggets).“If (Gallinari) plays it would be great. If not, we’ll see if he can play against Houston. If not, we just have to keep going. It’s the same thing with Avery. I mean, Avery could be back within a week. We don’t know, so we’ve just got to make sure he’s healthy.”center_img PLAYA VISTA — Coach Doc Rivers couldn’t say Sunday when guard Avery Bradley might play again. It could be next week or it could be the week after that or the one after that. Rivers did say for the first time he believed Bradley’s sports hernia injury could require surgery.Rivers also revealed for the first time that rookie guard Jawun Evans is suffering from a similar injury, and there’s no timetable for his return to the lineup, either. The Clippers have called Evans’ injury a sore lower abdominal ailment, but Rivers said surgery is a possibility for him, as well.“The bottom line is it’s a tough injury to have,” Rivers said.Either or both could have surgery during the offseason, according to Rivers.last_img read more

England’s Hughes win Seniors’ Amateur Championship

first_img Image courtesy The R&A Lancashire’s Bryan Hughes won the Seniors’ Amateur Championship at Sunningdale today to become the first Englishman since Roy Smethurst in 2003 to claim the title. Hughes ended a sequence of seven consecutive wins by Americans in the championship with his three-under 67 in the final round and a two-shot win over the US’s Doug Hanzel and Gene Elliot and South Africa’s Steven Williams.  Hughes, from Hesketh, commented: “Without doubt, that is the best round of my life. To shoot three under in the last round of a major amateur championship is what you dream about. Tags: Seniors’ Amateur Championship, Sunningdale He fell back into a share of top spot after a bogey at the 16th and then had a disastrous triple-bogey seven at the 17th where he found trouble in the rough and then three-putted. He finished with a five-over-par 75 and in a tie for fifth place on seven-over par overall. It really was a fairy-tale for Hughes, whose wife, Elizabeth, caddied through the championship that was affected by torrential rain on the opening day. His round did not start too encouragingly after he dropped a shot at the tricky par four 2nd but a 30ft birdie at the 5th was followed by two further birdies at the 12th and 15th. A birdie putt from six feet for a four at the par-five 18th helped to set a target that no one managed to match. Click here for full scores Chip Lutz, the defending champion and three-time winner, closed with a three-over-par 73 to finish eight-over-par overall and was tied with the 2014 champion Brady Exber in joint seventh. American Steve Groom, the overnight leader, had two triple-bogeys in the first six holes. A bunker at the short fourth and heather at the 6th ended his title challenge. He shot a twelve-over-par 85. Not only did he get into the championship as third reserve, he posted the lowest score of the final round to claim the title and he will look to defend the trophy at Royal Porthcawl next year. The 2018 Seniors’ Amateur Championship will take place at Royal Porthcawl from 1-3 August. The 55-year-old was on the reserve list only one week ago but after receiving a late entry into the championship he completed the final round with a three-under-par 67 to lift the trophy on a four-over-par total of 214. “When I stood over the putt at the last, I thought ‘this is why I play golf to have moments like this’. It was a tremendous feeling when it went in. I still can’t believe it.” Hughes also earns an exemption for the 2018 Senior Open Presented by Rolex being staged at the Old Course, St Andrews from 26-29 July. 11 Aug 2017 England’s Hughes win Seniors’ Amateur Championship For most of the final round American Matthew Sughrue, the runner-up on his debut at Royal County Down two years ago, was in control and led the championship right up until the final three holes.last_img read more